Broken Rules is a development studio that has produced a number of intriguing games, quite a few of which have been on Nintendo platforms – it’s probably best known among Switch gamers for Old Man’s Journey. The studio has now confirmed its next release, Gibbon: Beyond the Trees, which will debut on Apple Arcade on 25th February before arriving on Switch and PC later this year.
It looks rather interesting, blending momentum-based gameplay with serious messages around deforestation and climate change. Some official details are below:
Swing into the life of a lost gibbon as they embark on a dangerous journey into unknown lands, with a narrative that captures the struggle of endangered creatures around the world. Master the ape’s art of brachiation (swinging from branch to branch) at high speed, building momentum, pulling off spectacular somersaults, and launching yourself higher and further into the air with the help of your fellow apes, feeling the thrill and exhilaration of life in an untamed jungle.
Gibbon: Beyond the Trees deals with challenging real-world environmental issues, including deforestation, poaching and climate change that threatens the life of gibbons.
– Master free-flowing dynamic movement based on brachiation, the way real apes swing through the trees
– Build momentum through dazzlingly acrobatic jumps, including launching from another gibbon’s hands in mid-air
– Experience the affecting tale of a family of gibbons trying to survive amid an encroaching human threat.
– Play through an hour-long adventure in story mode, or race to freedom through a procedurally generated jungle in liberation mode.
– Stunning 2D hand-painted visuals that breathe life into a rapidly vanishing world.
– Explore varied environments, from the wild jungles of Southeast Asia to the hectic human world beyond.
It could be a unique experience when it arrives later in the year; let us know what you think of it in the comments.